Wednesday, June 23, 2010

VBS Project Linus Rag Quilt

During Vacation Bible School last week, I was in charge of crafts and the mission project.  I found this idea of Project Linus (see link here for more info: PROJECT LINUS WEBSITE ) on a Group Forum Board and right away knew that the SU Big Shot Scallop Square would work perfectly for the huge task.  I also used Angie Juda's instructions that I followed to make my rag purse. I just altered and applied them to make the blanket. We asked the kids and parents on Monday to bring in fabric, old clothes, jeans, etc tru the week. This blanket measures 36" x 36" with 12 by 12 rows of squares.  The first day was a lot of cool colors in the large donation box. I ran by Walmart and got the yellow remnant fabric for 70 cents to add something different. Then I cut the fabric into scallop squares on my Big Shot.  All 288 of them!
Wednesday night, Linda and Lois brought their sewing machines and met me at church to assemble the rag quilt blanket. We ran a x stitch on each square and then started to sew them together in rows.  Finally as we got closer to the finish product, it was really exciting.  It took us 3 hours to finish.  I went home and washed it that night and it is so soft! When I showed the kids and parents on Thursday, they were AMAZED!  It was so neat to see them try and find the fabric or jeans they donated on the blanket. We got so much fabric donated that we have enough to make 3-4 more blankets.  I plan to pre-cut them and then we will get together with a bunch of ladies and arrange and sew them all. You can see those come September once finished before we send them to our local Project Linus Chapter!
Have a magical day!
Cindy

No comments: